HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., Jan. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- If a new national survey from Sears of more than 1,000 men and women is any indication, Valentine's Day 2012 will be a date to remember for many couples. A full 40 percent of the men and women in relationships say they expect or are planning to get engaged on February 14 this year, according to the survey, conducted by Sentient Decision Science for Sears. And for those not yet ready to take the big leap, a choice piece of bling may still be the way to go—nearly one-third of women (29 percent) surveyed would choose jewelry if they could pick only one gift to receive for Valentine's Day this year.
Sears, a quality jeweler since 1888, expanded its assortment by 60 percent this year to feature a wide selection of watches, pendants, and engagement rings.
"A special piece of jewelry, especially on Valentine's Day, is perfect for symbolizing your love in its early stages and reaffirming the feeling long after," said David Tutera, the party and entertaining guru and TV host who has an aspirational line of engagement rings and wedding bands at Sears. "Sears has some exquisite designs that are remarkably value-priced."
Following jewelry, women surveyed said that if they could choose only one gift, they would most want to receive flowers or chocolate (20 percent), perfume (nine percent), the latest technology product (eight percent), lingerie (eight percent), a kitchen or home item (six percent), shoes, handbag or other accessory item (five percent), clothing item (five percent), or a fitness/exercise item (one percent).
While it has been said "it's the thought that counts," there is a clear disconnect between the sexes when it comes to Valentine's Day gift giving. The survey revealed that while 61 percent of men admit they have given a Valentine's Day gift that had no thought behind it, nearly eight in 10 women have received a gift that appeared to have no thought behind it.
"Valentine's Day is about expressing your feelings to those who mean the most to you," said Tutera. "Walk through a Sears store with your significant other in mind and you will quickly find many gift options that may hold special meaning for you as a couple, whether something traditional like jewelry or intimate apparel, or something unexpected like the newest high-tech gadget."
Sears offers the largest assortment of top brands including exclusive apparel and intimate brands like Kardashian Kollection and UK Style and proprietary brands like Kenmore, Craftsman and NordicTrack. To browse all the hottest Valentine's Day gifts at affordable prices, visit Sears.com/gifts.
For stumped men still searching for help, Tutera offers his expert take on Valentine's Day and the survey results:
- "Turn ordinary into romantically extraordinary—it's easier than you think."Nearly one-third of survey respondents (27 percent) plan to have a low-key evening at home. Turn the night into a walk down romantic memory lane: Prepare a meal of menu items you shared on your first date, your wedding day or any special occasion.
- "The calendar is just a piece of paper." When Valentine's Day falls on a busy weeknight, as it does this year (Tuesday), move your celebration to a more convenient weekend night so neither you nor your sweetheart will feel rushed or stressed.
- "Be a gifting maverick… it's fine by her." Instead of the expected flowers or chocolates, go for something out of the ordinary. Case in point: More than three quarters (80 percent) of women surveyed said they would be excited to receive the latest technology product this Valentine's Day.
For those planning to pop the question and looking for that special ring, Tutera sees a trend toward timeless design.
"Antique and vintage styles are popping up everywhere from restaurants to music to jewelry," Tutera said. "A classically inspired ring is the perfect way to show your valentine that your love will stand the test of time."
Tutera also offers the following tips for creating a memorable proposal:
- Consider creative packaging options to wow your bride-to-be, like an antique jewelry box, special book with the ring marking a particular page or between the petals of her favorite flower.
- Look for special diamond cuts and shapes as well as intricate and dazzling band styles—too often, couples focus on the size of "the rock" versus the quality and design of the ring.
- Struggling for a concept? Re-create the fairy-tale story of your relationship or consider popping the question during a favorite shared activity
For additional Valentine's Day gift ideas, visit Sears.com/gifts. To learn more about David Tutera's aspirational line of engagement rings and wedding bands or view the collection, visit Sears stores nationwide or Sears.com/DavidTuteraJewelry.
Sears Valentine's Day Survey Methodology
The Sentient Decision Science Valentine's Day study examines Valentine's Day perceptions and behaviors among U.S. consumers. Sentient Decision Science, an independent behavioral science and consulting firm, was commissioned by Sears to conduct this study. The research is based on a survey of 1,008 U.S. consumers (600 Females; 454 currently in a relationship, 146 not in a relationship and 408 males currently in a relationship), ages 18 and older, and the data is representative of the U.S. census population. The margin of error for a survey based on 1,008 interviews is +/- 3.1 percentage points with a 95 percent level of confidence. For more information about the sampling methodology of this study, please contact Meghan Van Horn at Sentient Decision Science.
About Sears Holdings Corporation
Sears Holdings Corporation is the nation's fourth largest broadline retailer with over 4,000 full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States and Canada. Sears Holdings is the leading home appliance retailer as well as a leader in tools, lawn and garden, consumer electronics and automotive repair and maintenance. Sears Holdings is the 2011 ENERGY STAR® Retail Partner of the Year. Key proprietary brands include Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard, and a broad apparel offering, including such well-known labels as Lands'' End, Jaclyn Smith and Joe Boxer, as well as the Apostrophe and Covington brands. It also has the Country Living collection, which is offered by Sears and Kmart. We are the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 11 million service calls made annually. Sears Holdings Corporation operates through its subsidiaries, including Sears, Roebuck and Co. and Kmart Corporation. For more information, visit Sears Holdings' website at www.searsholdings.com. |Twitter: @searsholdings | |Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SHCCareers
Sears Holdings Euro
RSCG Worldwide PR
SOURCE Sears Holdings Corporation