HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., May 5, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Sears has launched its eighth annual Heroes at Home campaign with Rebuilding Together to raise funds and assist military families facing hardship by making necessary repairs, improvements or modifications to their homes. The program, which has raised more than $18 million over the past seven years thanks to donations from Shop Your Way members, customers and associates, has funded more than 1,500 home rebuilds.
This spring, dozens of military family homes will be rebuilt thanks to the program. Among these projects is Chicago's Remake the World Veteran Center, which serves thousands of Chicago-area homeless veterans annually. The center is operated largely by volunteers and offers resources to veterans in need, including healthcare enrollment assistance, employment programs, clothing, kitchens and more. In addition, the center provides more than 4,000 free meals per month to homeless veterans. The building is in need of many repairs, including fixing the roof and broken windows, installing all new appliances and air conditioning units, and restoring the water damaged basement.
"The generosity of our members and associates year-after-year demonstrates the collective passion behind the Heroes at Home program," said Leena Munjal, senior vice president, Sears Holdings. "Sears has a long history of assisting America's soldiers, who have made great sacrifices to protect our nation, as well as their families who inspire us every day. We're proud to mark our eighth year teaming with Rebuilding Together to turn the spirit of appreciation into action to transform lives."
Now through Aug. 1, Sears is calling upon Shop Your Way members and customers nationwide to donate at their local Sears store or online via a link at sears.com/heroesathome. All funds raised go to Rebuilding Together, a national safe and healthy housing nonprofit.
"We care about the safety, health and independence of the low-income owners we serve," said Sandra Henriquez, interim President and CEO of Rebuilding Together. "Teaming with Sears, we invest in a long-lasting impact — making critical home repairs — to ensure that our veterans can live in safe, healthy and accessible homes."
Other examples of the nationwide Heroes at Home projects that Rebuilding Together will complete this spring include:
- Hazel Park, Michigan– Adding energy efficient windows and doors, replacing the water heater, adding insulation and CFL lighting throughout the home, as well as painting the exterior of the house to help a Vietnam War veteran who voluntarily served two tours of duty.
- Seattle– Repairing a collapsing side porch and entry stairs, fixing aluminum siding and soffits, completely remodeling the kitchen and bathroom and adding functioning appliances throughout the home for a Korean War veteran.
- Gaithersburg, Maryland– Updating the home with new appliances, repairing the electrical outlets throughout the home and installing handrails for a U.S. Army veteran.
- Chesterfield, Missouri– Replacing the roof, repairing water damage in the kitchen and adding updated appliances such as a refrigerator, fixing the non-functioning furnace for a Korean and Vietnam War veteran and his family.
- Philadelphia– Repairing the roof, installing a furnace and water heater, replacing the floors, walls and plumbing in the bathroom and kitchen for the family of a WWII Tuskegee Airman veteran.
For more information about Heroes at Home, to make a donation and volunteer, visit sears.com/heroesathome.
About Sears, Roebuck and Co.
Sears, Roebuck and Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ: SHLD), is a leading integrated retailer providing merchandise and related services and is part of Shop Your Way, a social shopping experience where members have the ability to earn points and receive benefits across a wide variety of physical and digital formats through shopyourway.com. Sears, Roebuck offers its wide range of home merchandise, apparel and automotive products and services through Sears-branded and affiliated full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States. Sears, Roebuck also offers a variety of merchandise and services through sears.com, landsend.com and specialty catalogs. Sears, Roebuck offers consumers leading proprietary brands including Kenmore, Craftsman, and DieHard – among the most trusted and preferred brands in the U.S. The company is the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 14 million service and installation calls made annually. For more information, visit the Sears, Roebuck website at www.sears.com or the Sears Holdings Corporation website at www.searsholdings.com.
About Rebuilding Together
Rebuilding Together strengthens the lives of people in our most vulnerable communities by providing low-income homeowners with critical home repairs, accessibility modifications and energy-efficient upgrades. Rebuilding Together's local affiliates and nearly 100,000 volunteers complete about 10,000 rebuild projects each year. As we rebuild homes, community spaces and nonprofit facilities, our lasting impact helps to stabilize and revitalize neighborhoods across the country. We believe that everyone deserves to live in a safe and healthy home. Learn more and get involved at RebuildingTogether.org.
Zeno Group for Sears
SOURCE Sears, Roebuck and Co.