This morning, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced that Sears Holdings Corporation, an ENERGY STAR partner since 1998, has been selected as a 2018 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year winner for Sustained Excellence – Retailer and Energy Management. And even more Good News, for the first time, the Kenmore brand is being recognized as ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Product Brand Owner. This award is reserved for ENERGY STAR partners demonstrating outstanding leadership and exceptional commitment to the environment by providing consumers with products, services and information that help individuals make sustainable purchasing decisions
The EPA’s ENERGY STAR program has been America’s resource for saving energy and protecting the environment. The EPA applauds SHC for demonstrating exemplary commitment and dedication in energy efficiency by:
- Energy Savings: From February through August 2017, Sears reduced total store energy consumption by nine percent and saved 82 million kilowatt hours of power, which equates at an average rate, to almost $10 million.
- Responsible Appliance Disposal: Sears processed and responsibly disposed of more than 182,000 refrigerators, freezers, AC units and dehumidifiers from January 2017 through September 2017. These efforts resulted in avoided greenhouse gas emissions of approximately 226,000 metric tons CO2 equivalent.
- Product Selection and Sales of ENERGY STAR Products: From Sears’ sales of ENERY STAR products in 2017, customers were able to achieve energy savings of 298 million kWh, $70 million in utility costs, 459 million pounds of CO2 reduced, or equivalent emissions of 44,000 cars. In 2017, SHC offered 849 unique ENERGY STAR certified models across categories such as lighting, appliances, consumer electronics, doors, windows, and HVAC. In Appliances alone, SHC saw a 9.5% increase in ENERGY STAR certified products over 2016 numbers. For the fourth straight year, more than 99% of our door and window installations were completed using ENERGY STAR certified products.
- Training: Sears conducted its Home Appliance business sales associate product training road show in 2017 to educate its associates on ENERGY STAR. Over 1,900 associates were trained and gained specific knowledge on ENERGY STAR certified products.
- Partnership: Sears and the Kenmore brand partnered with Amazon to launch major appliances on Amazon.com. The launch and marketing materials have focused heavily on ENERGY STAR certified appliances and the majority of the products are ENERGY STAR certified. This is introducing the Kenmore brand and the ENERGY STAR Program to a new demographic audience. In addition, we continue to support ENERGY STAR with participation in ENERGY STAR events. SHC successfully upgraded two homeless veteran shelters with energy efficient appliances, lighting, consumer electronics, doors, windows and HVAC. This event with Rebuilding Together and ENERGY STAR took place in advance of the ENERGY STAR Products Partner Meeting.
SHC and Kenmore are being honored along with other award winners at the ENERGY STAR Awards Ceremony to be held Friday, April 20, 2018, in Washington, D.C. This impressive accomplishment demonstrates our commitment to educating associates to better understand selling and servicing ENERGY STAR certified products, in addition to applying internal store processes that support sustainability.